This Valentines Day spoil your loved ones with chocolate!! Who doesn’t love chocolate? I know it’s right up there with my love for my children and husband. Okay maybe that’s a little bit exaggerated, but not too far out.
I am of the opinion anything with chocolate is great!! Give me chocolate and you’ve won my heart. I’d rather make something for my loved ones when it’s Valentines Day. It’s often times a little more healthy, and it shows a little more work went into it. There’s something about giving a gift you made that makes it all the sweeter, especially when it’s chocolate and you are receiving it.
This year I partnered with Barleans to create a fun recipe using buttered flavored coconut oil from Barleans for this month of LOVE. I was going to go with something savory over sweet, but I couldn’t pull myself away from something chocolate for Valentines Day, especially since it is right around the corner.
I have been wanting to make a chocolate peanut butter dream, and I drafted a few recipes just in case recipe one didn’t turn out. I thought of my favorite holiday treat Buckeye’s and my love for peanut butter and chocolate, while wanting to clean them up a little bit, with less sugar but still keeping a creamy sweet taste. Let’s be honest traditional Buckeye’s are loaded with cups of powdered sugar, and when you can make something that tastes just as good, but that is healthier, why wouldn’t you?
I had my taste tester to help with the process, R. She can be brutally honest when it comes to my recipe creations, so I value her opinion. She is getting quite good at protein bite testing and my “healthier” treat testing. These Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies met her standards, so I figured they were safe to share.
She also said that “Daddy will like these, so make sure to save some for him.” Will do captain!! I don’t know what made her think I wouldn’t share them or have any left over by the end of the day 😉 She knows me well!! And yes, Marc did approve, so much so when I packed some in his lunch for work the other day he asked if he had to share with his other co-workers. I told him there’s enough to share. These will be easy to make with only 5 total ingredients. You’ll need:
- Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- Coconut Flour
- Honey or Maple Syrup
- Buttered Flavored Coconut Oil from Barleans
- Chocolate Chips
You will find these are vegan and gluten free. Add as much sweetener as you like to the cookie mixture. I tend to do less sweet, because the chocoalte adds a nice richness. The buttered flavored coconut oil gives a nice creamy texture to the chocolate covered layering, and also adds a nice richness to the peanut butter cookie part.
I love the MCT’s from the coconut oil, and because it’s buttered flavored, you have the same taste as butter with all the healthy benefits from the MCT’s. It’s also non-GMO and organic, win win. You can control how sweet you like them and I guarantee you won’t notice there’s not cups of sugar in them. These will keep in your fridge for up to 2 weeks or you can freeze them for a few months. I doubt they will stay around that long 😉
- 1 c peanut butter
- 3-4 Tbs honey or maple syrup
- ¼ c Barleans buttered flavored coconut oil
- ¾ c coconut flour
- For Chocolate Coating
- 1 c chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
- 1 tbs Barleans buttered flavored coconut oil
- Place peanut butter and honey or maple syrup in a medium mixing bowl and mix.
- Add in the Barleans butter flavored coconut oil, melted first and mix well.
- Stir in the coconut flour until well combined, mixture will be dough like, but more sticky (won't be able to roll in balls, sticky)
- Place tablespoon sized drops on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, flatten like a cookie.
- Freeze until firm (30 mins - 1 hour).
- Once firm dip into the chocolate coating mixture.
- To make chocolate coating: melt chocolate chips & butter flavored coconut oil.
- Once fully dipped, place back into freezer on lined cookie sheet for another 30 minutes.
- Store in freezer or refrigerator in an air tight container.
The recipe is easy. A quick mixture and then once firm dipped in the chocolate. Have fun getting your hands dirty and rest easy that you are getting antioxidants from the chocolate & MCT’s from the buttered flavored coconut oil.
Enjoy your Valentines Day with some of these Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies & promise me you’ll share with those you love!! I know it’s tough, but I trust you can do it, especially if I can 😉
Until Next Time Be Whole and Be Fit