I will continue to add books that I feel are inspiring and well worth the read. I have read so many books on health and running that have truly changed my perspective. Here are some great books to consider:
For your Health:
- Skinny Bitch, Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin
- Deadly Emotions, Don Colbert, M.D. – This book outlines how important our emotions are to our health, such as stress!!
- Toxic Relief, Don Colbert, M.D. – This book outlines the importance of cleansing and juice fasts, as well the benefits of eating whole foods.
- The China Study, T. Collin Campbhel, Ph.D. and Thomas M. Campbell II
- The Pill, Jane Bennett and Alexandra Pope – outlines the health risk associated with oral contraceptives and offers information on all forms of birth control
- Omnivores Dilemma, Michael Pollan
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Barbara Kingsolver
- Natural Cures “They” Don’t want you to know About, Kevin Trudeau – outlines the corruption of the food industry and our government
- Food Rules, Michael Pollan – rules for healthier lifestyle
- Eat Right, Live Longer, Neal Barnard, M.D.
- Raw Nutrition: Restore Your Health by Eating Raw and Eating Right!. Karyn Mitchell, N.D. Ph.D.
- Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser – how fast food made it’s entrance into US and the damage it’s done
- Food Politics, Marion Nestle – Outlines how much control the government has over our food, and how much advertising and lobbyists affects foods nutrition
- Safe Food, Marion Nestle – Outlines what is safe food, and the impact of GMO’s on the environment and our health. Open’s our eyes to the deception in the food industry.
- Food Matters, Mark Bittman – This is an easy read, including great tips to get your started on a diet that’s more sustainable and eco-friendly, providing recipes.
- Lick The Sugar Habit, Nancy Appleton, Ph.D. – A great book to help detail the risk and effects of sugar on our body and health, and a very easy read.
For the love of Running:
- Born to Run, Christopher McDougall – this book will definitely inspire you to run as it details the life of the Tarahumara Indians
- Marathon, The ultimate training guide, Hal Higdon – great book for first time marathoners and even those who have ran many of them
- The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition, Matt Fitzgerald – want to avoid hitting the wall and race well, then read this book!!
- 14 Minutes, Alberto Salazar – Salazar is a running legend who suffered a heart attack and was dead for 14 minutes. It’s a great read!!
- Running for My Life, Lopez Lomong – This is about a lost boy from Sudan who escapes the killing fields, makes it to American and becomes an Olympic athlete. It’s truly inspiring and eye opening
- Eat and Run, Scott Jurek- This is a great book if you are looking to go vegan and still maintain great fitness while staying nourished and properly fueled. I loved reading about Jurek’s many struggles and his transformation from a McDonald’s junkie to a vegan ultra-marathoner superstar.
- Running on Empty, Marshall Ulrich – An inspiring story of an runner who finds running after the death of his first wife. He than sets a record for running across America.