This recipe I first created for last years Super Bowl. I had high expectations and was lucky to be successful on the first attempt. Now with Super Bowl 50 around the corner, I thought I would share it again. I plan to make it for our Super Bowl party.
You’ll notice that most of the traditional layers found in Seven Layer Dip are missing, but great replacements have been found. These layers will provide a great selection of flavors, as well as less unwanted fat and more protein. There’s no sour cream, instead a great protein rich, healthy fat hummus. A creamy guacamole, made from scratch (or you can buy a premade version), offers healthy mono-saturated fats and other essential fatty acids perfect for healthy skin, nails and hair, oh, and a healthy heart.
I promise your friends and family won’t notice the vegan cheese. This dip starts with refried vegetarian black beans, jalapeno hummus, guacamole, quinoa, salsa, lettuce and vegan cheese. My brother-in-love didn’t even know there was vegan cheese, nor the rest of the family, or they probably wouldn’t have tried it. They still don’t know. You can use my jalapeno hummus recipe or use store bought hummus. Here my recipe for an easy guacamole I used, or you could buy a healthy store made one to save time.
So this dip will have less fat compared to the traditional 7 layer dip. It still boosts the same great flavor, and even more flavor. This dip proves you don’t need the meat or the sour cream to create a tasty 7 layer dip. My husband loved this dip, as well as my family on last Super Bowl Sunday. When I told my husband what I was going to use for the layers, he was more than skeptical, but after he tried it, he loved it. He said he would definitely buy this in the stores. It’s one of his favorite dips now. (It was super hard to take pictures of though).
Here’s what you’ll need for the layers:
- refried black beans,
- jalepeno hummus (feel free to use your favorite hummus or make your own),
- quinoa (even more protein, and a complete protein),
- salsa, (healthy lycopene)
- shredded romaine lettuce and
- shredded cheese
Now you can enjoy a healthier version of Seven Layer Dip without all the guilt, and you get some extra protein and healthy fats while you scoop it up. I love it with Organic Tortilla Chips or on top of a fried tortilla or even tacos. Many layers of fun and a great way to add some protein into those you loves diet, as well as sneaky healthy foods like avocado, tomatoes, and quinoa.
Now here’s how we prepare this AH-mazing dip!!
- ½ 15 ounce can vegetarian refried black beans
- 1 c jalapeno hummus (can use my recipe or store bought)
- 1 - 1½ c guacamole (homemade or store bought)
- 1 c cooked quinoa
- ½ - ¾ c salsa
- 1-2 c shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ - 1 c vegan shredded cheese blend
- In a 8X8 inch pan, begin spreading layers.
- Spread the refried beans first, then add the jalapeno hummus.
- Spread guacamole, and then sprinkle the quinoa.
- Next add the salsa, shredded lettuce and top with cheese.
- Depending on how thick you want your layers, you can add more guacamole, hummus, beans and cheese.
- *Keep in fridge until ready to serve & store leftovers in the fridge for a couple of days.
Go Broncos!! Or more Go Peyton Manning!!
See you Friday folks for another fun recipe, and it can even be used for Super Bowl too, but I enjoy it’s chocolately mint flavor post runs for a protein boost.
Until Next Time Be Whole and Be Fit