Even though it’s been unbearably hot here this summer, more so than usual, I still love summer and all the fresh produce. You just don’t get the freshness in produce during the winter months as you do in the summer. There’s so many great fruits and vegetables in summer, making it easy to have healthy, fast snacks on hand at any time.
I thought I would share my favorite summer snacks and treats. Mostly, I love anything cold when it’s hot, especially now that I am prego. We have literally had temp’s in the 90s since the beginning of July, with maybe a few cooler days in there somewhere. So I run to the freezer any time I am in need of a quick snack.
Favorite Summer Snacks & Treats
- Fresh Fruit & Veggies – I count these as snacks and treats. There’s no preparation needed. I am loving all the variety in peaches, apricots, cherries and berries. So refreshing after a hot day. The tomatoes and cucumbers with a little salt and pepper are simply amazing. Even raw radishes hit the spot.
- Smoothies – These are simple and quick to make, and are great after a hot, sweaty workout. There’s so many variations you can try, and they are a great way to sneak in protein. Check out some of my smoothie recipes.
- Frozen Fruit Kabobs: I included a recipe for these below. Really there isn’t much to them. You just need some skewers, your favorite fruit and some freeze time. They are great for kids too. You can use grapes, strawberries, apricots, blueberries, mango, etc. An easy treat!!
- Frozen Grapes – Enough said
- Kale Chips – These are easy, and Kale is easy to come by during the summer. A perfect salty treat.
- Frozen Peanut/Almond Butter Banana Bites – Quick and easy, and perfect to curb those sugar cravings!! Recipe
- Homemade Ice Cream – It’s really simple to make your own ice cream, and it serves as a great treat in the summer. When using bananas as a base, with your pick for flavors, it’s easy to make it vegan and with no sugar. I have a few recipes you can find here.
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse – Another easy treat for the summer, and a favorite among adults and kids. My recipe here.
- Chia Pudding – There are many recipes to try and it’s simple to make your own. Any flavors, any fruits!! Recipes here.
- No Bake Cookies – They are great because they don’t require the oven and the batter is just simply wonderful!! Recipe here.
You can check out my snack page for even more great snacks, most not requiring any oven or stove. 😉
Frozen Fruit Kabobs
I guarantee you and the kids will love these. They are simple and a great snack that can serve as something sweet. I suggest cutting the sharp tip before giving to kids. Mix and match with different fruits; be creative.
- Fresh grapes and/or watermelon, washed
- Blueberries and/or strawberries, washed and sliced strawberries
- Apricots and/or mangoes, washed and cut into chunks (bite sized)
- Pack of skewers
- After washing fruit, and slicing the bigger fruits into bite sized pieces, begin placing on skewers.
- Place skewers in a gallon sized ziplock bag, and seal tightly.
- Place in freezer & allow to freeze before enjoying!!
- I suggest cutting tips before giving to kids, and allowing to thaw for a couple of minutes so the fruit can easily slide off.
- You can use any fruit that is hardy enough to stick on a skewer such as blueberries, grapes, strawberries, mangoes, apricots, watermelon etc.
I am leaving for Montana in a few days for my shower and a vacation at the lake. I simply can’t wait. Oh and here’s the link for my Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes. You’ll love them. They are surprisingly healthy!!
Until Next Time Be Whole and Be Fit
What are some of you favorite summer treats and snacks?