I have spent a few fun hours in the kitchen working on new recipes, as I had a few days off of work this week. I have been wanting to create a new recipe for healthy protein bites for fueling my runs, fulfilling my sweet tooth, and tiding me over before I can get to breakfast.
Bites are easy to make and quick to consume. These pack a lot of punch in one or two bites too. Tart cherry is one of my favorite foods for a runners diet. I love tart cherry juice the night before a long run, to help increase electrolytes and help induce a peaceful nights rest. Also, great for recovery after my runs. I love frozen tart cherries in my smoothies, and now I have thrown them into my protein bites.
Costco has a bag of dried tart cherries for a reasonable price. Dried tart cherries are a perfect addition to trail mixes, granola, cookies and these protein bites.
After listening to a quick sermon online Wednesday night, I made these in 15 minutes. Now I have a great snack for before or after working out or as a nice dessert after dinner. They have a chocolatey taste (from the carob powder and cacao nibs), with tartness from the cherries and a crunch from the nuts. I didn’t use any sweetener either. I found they didn’t need it.
Tart cherries contain antioxidants helping to fight off free radical damage and help promote muscle recovery. They are shown to help with post-workout muscle soreness, osteoarthritis pain in the knee, and promote a good nights rest. They are great at absorbing and deactivating free radicals and have one of the highest levels of antioxidants. They contain anthocyanins, a key antioxidant, blocking enzymes associated with inflammation.
Tart cherries contain high amounts of vitamin A. They are high in potassium, calcium and magnesium as well. I used cacao nibs as well, which is chocolate in it’s purest form without any additives.They have a dark chocolate flavor that is nutty and slightly bitter. Cacao nibs are a great source of antioxidants, and vitamins and minerals. They are also high in magnesium and iron. Try this recipe for aiding recovery, easing post workout soreness, and satisfying a sweet tooth.
- nut butter
- dried tart cherries
- pecans & walnuts
- Coco powder or Carob powder
- protein powder
- coconut flour
- cacao nibs (or can sub mini chocolate chips)
- hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 c Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- ¼ c chopped Pecans
- ¼ c Walnut pieces
- ½ c dried Tart Cherries
- 1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder (or vanilla, protein of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp Carob Powder or Coco Powder
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1-2 Tbsp Cacao Nibs (or mini chocolate chips)
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- In medium size mixing bowl add the nut butter, protein powder, carob or coco powder and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the nuts, tart cherries, cacao nibs and hemp seeds.
- Add coconut flour 1 Tbsp at a time, until mixture is easy to work with, stirring until thoroughly worked in. (shouldn't need more than 3 Tbsp).
- Form into balls/bites (may need to add a little bit of water to help form the bites). Store in the fridge in an air tight container for up to a couple weeks.
Hope you all enjoy your weekend!!
Until Next Time Be Whole and Be Fit
Do you like Tart Cherries? Every tried Tart Cherry Juice?