When cookies have no added sugar and are filled with protein, a little fiber and antioxidants, you can totally eat them for breakfast. These are packed full of healthy nutrients and much needed fuel. Vegan and gluten free. I love eating them frozen!!
I whipped these up last week one morning before the hubby headed off to work (in my p.j.’s of course, with a nice hot cup of matcha). I had the day off, and a scheduled run with my sister in the evening, so why not bake?! They didn’t take long to prep and only needed 15 minutes to bake. Just in time to send my husband on his way with a healthy, tart and sweet breakfast. He texted later and said “P.S. Those cookies were amazing!! Good job on them.”
A few scoops of your favorite protein powder gives them an extra boost of protein. We all know how important protein is at breakfast. Keeping us full longer and helping to repair muscles after working out. They also have healthy sources of carbohydrates from the banana and oats. Carbs are needed to replace any glucose utilized during your sweat session. And healthy carbs are essential to our overall health.
You don’t have to save them for breakfast either. Eat as a snack or post run refuel. The cacao bits and tart cherries are full of antioxidants, and if you’ve visited my blog before you know how great tart cherries are for muscle recovery & soreness.
It was great being back in the kitchen working on new recipes to share, and lately tart cherries have been a mainstay in the Wholesomely Fit kitchen. Great in everything from smoothies to cookies to protein bites, and I love adding them to granola or trail mixes. The mixture will be runny compared to normal cookie dough, almost cake like.
Naturally sweetened with the banana and unsweetened applesauce, and a little sweetness from the dried tart cherries, thus they don’t need any other sweetener. Kid tested on my nephews (Baby R is still to young. 🙂 ) and my older sister.
You can store them in the fridge for a couple weeks (if they last that long) or the freezer for longer storage (my favorite way to eat them) in an air tight container. Perfect for an on-the-go breakfast or snack. Tart Cherry Protein Breakfast Cookie
You only need a few ingredients:
- Ripe bananas
- Almond butter (or other nut butter)
- Almond milk (or coconut milk)
- Protein powder
- Dried tart cherries
- Cacao nibs or mini dark chocolate chips
- dried blueberries (optional)
- 5 ripe bananas
- ½ c unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ c almond milk (or your favorite milk)
- ½ c almond butter (or favorite nut butter)
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 1¾ c oats (GF)
- ½ c dried tart cherries
- ¼ c dried blueberries (optional)
- ½ c cacao nibs (or mini chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease cookie sheet.
- In medium mixing bowl beat bananas until well mashed.
- Beat in applesauce and almond milk.
- Next add in the almond butter and stir/beat until well combined.
- Stir in the protein powder, oats, tart cherries, blueberries and cacao nibs.
- Spoon mixture onto prepared cookie sheet & bake for 15 minutes (I use big rounded TBS).
- Once cooled remove from cookie sheet & store in an air tight container in the fridge or freezer.
Hope your week is cookie filled!!
Until Next Time Be Whole and Be Fit