Spring has landed in the Inland Northwest. Lucky for Mariah she has summer basically all year round in California, or at least pretty close. It’s been so nice enjoying the sunshine and I have been working in the yard as much as I am allowed.
Are you ready to celebrate mom in a few weeks? Promise you won’t skip brunch this Mother’s Day. Husbands, sons, and dads you can make this great brunch for your loved one, and you won’t have to spend hours in the kitchen to do so. (Although it will seem like you did). She deserves a nice brunch, and one she doesn’t have to prepare herself. So Moms, don’t make this on Mother’s Day, any other day is fine, but on Mother’s Day you can hint to your loved ones what you would like. 😉
Call it what you will, french toast bake or bread pudding, but this brunch or breakfast recipe is better than good. I have made it twice now, and used a few different ingredients so my gluten free friends can enjoy brunch as well. The best part? I added in some superfruit blend from Barleans. It’s a great mixture of flax, coconut, strawberry, blueberry and raspberry.
Disclaimer: I am part of the Barleans Blogger team. The FTC requires that I disclose this. Although I was compensated by Barleans for this post and given free product, I have been using their products long before being compensated. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Triple Berry French Toast Bake / Bread Pudding
You will power your day with a boost of Omega-3, antioxidants and fiber. It’s simple too!! And bread puddings were my favorite growing up. I have learned that in the South, they are called French toast bakes. So if I refer to bread pudding I am referring to French toast bake as well, and vice versa.
My kids have enjoyed both the gluten free version of this French toast bake and the one made with sourdough. Everything else remains the same, but you can chose the bread that you love. I favor the sourdough flavor, it just seems to go great with the fresh or frozen berries. The gluten free version is great as well though!!
Look at the Gluten Free Version:
I am glad you can bake the superfruit blend, because who doesn’t want a daily dose of antioxidants & essential fatty acids served in a yummy brunch?! The blend is also great in smoothies, oatmeal or puddings. This bake is great for left overs reheated, so you can continue to brunch for a few days (if you can make it last that long, it’s so good you may want to finish the whole pan). I actually enjoy it cold, straight from the pan, but I am pregnant and munch 24/7, so I have special privileges, but I won’t judge if you munch on cold leftovers too!! 😉 So let’s brunch friends!!
- 1 loaf sourdough bread in chunks (9 cups) or can use gluten free bread / bread of your choice (just need 9 cups of bread)
- ¼ c Barleans superfruit blend
- 2-3 c fresh or frozen berries (strawberry, blueberry & raspberry blend)
- 8 large eggs
- ½ c greek plain yogurt (or yogurt of your choice)
- ½ c maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ c almond milk
- Optional Topping
- ⅓ c flour (can use almond flour)
- ¼ c coconut sugar
- 2-3 tbs coconut oil (room temp)
- 2 tbs superfruit blend
- **can omit berries & add walnuts or pecans
- Grease 9 x 13 inch pan. Add the bread chunks to pan and Barleans superfruit blend & set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, greek yogurt, almond milk, cinnamon & maple syrup in medium mixing bowl.
- Pour over bread chunks and use hands to fully submerge bread, so all pieces are well coated. Mix in berries.
- Place in refrigerator overnight or at least for 30-45 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove from refrigerator, use hands again to submerge bread.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Then add optional topping & bake for additional 15-20 minutes, uncovered (depending on consistency you like).
- To make optional topping:
- Mix together flour, coconut sugar, superfruit blend & coconut oil until a crumble. Top bread pudding.
Oh, and did I mention that Marc finishes school this week?! Our life will have a bit more normalcy now. We are so proud of him & excited for whatever our next chapter brings us, or where it may bring us.
Have a wonderful weekend Friends and Family!!
Until Next Time Be Whole and Be Fit