This Friday I wanted to share a new product I have been using. It’s been a nice addition to my life thus far and has aided my relaxation. I have already used one product from the same creators of the Prana Brush, Doshamat and fell in love. The acupressure mat has been a great addition to my daily routine. You can learn more about these from a previous blog post. I’ll keep my review of the Prana Brush short and concise, but spoiler alert you’ll want to try it for yourself!!
The Prana Brush is an ionic body brush, with fine copper bristles used for dry brushing. As we know, or maybe you don’t, copper has amazing health benefits already. I was excited to try the dry brush, curious to how it could aid my health and promote a healthy lifestyle.
Dry Brushing is something that I had never really heard of before I was approached by the creator of PranaBrush and was curious to try. I will warn you it will be a little disgusting at first, watching all the dead skin cells that fall from using the brush. It was astonishing to me. Here’s what I loved and learned while using the Prana Dry Brush:
- Dead skin cells in mass: As I stated previously, seeing all the dead skin cells was disgusting at first. It made me want to wash my sheets on the daily. At the same time, it’s good to have a brush to help loosen the dead skin and brush it away. The Prana Brush invigorates the body.
- Relaxing: I love how relaxing you feel during and after using the dry brush. The parts of my body I use the dry brush on, mainly my legs and arms always feel amazing even hours after using it. This is why I love to dry brush before bed time. I believe it helps in relaxing me before bed, which helps me fall asleep a little faster. This is important right now, since pregnancy has caused major insomnia.
- Sleep aid: For me, I have noticed how it is relaxing before sleep (as state previously). I seem to feel more relaxed after using the dry brush, which has helped me fall asleep.*
- Smooth skin: I guarantee your skin will feel smoother after only a few weeks of using the brush. It’s as if it brushes away the rough skin, leaving the skin to feel more supple and smooth.
- Only need a light touch: Smooth and light is the key here! I was surprised at how rough the brush felt at first and had to adjust my brushing strength. The bristles feel rough when brushing, but are smooth to the touch, which is what the body needs, so you will find that a light touch really does go a long way.
*For me it helps to relax me most nights, but I can also see how it can energize the body as well. For some it is too energizing (stimulating) and it may make it hard to fall asleep. Everyone is different, so try it for yourself first. Most enjoy using it right when the wake up. I do find that it is a nice “perk me up” in the mornings as well.
What are the benefits of using the Prana Brush (dry brushing)?
- detoxifies the body & improves the circulation
- eliminates dead skin cells, exfoliates the skin & improves skin tone
- aids digestion
- reduces and prevents cellulite
- increases energy and well-being.
I find that all of these are important to our overall health and you will find what a great addition dry brushing is to your overall health. The invigorating effects it has or even relaxing effects it has, are already major perks in my life.
Here are some tips to get started with your Prana Brush:
- It was recommended by the creator to use it 2-3 times a week (or more or less depending on how you feel) – You may find it easier to begin with a only 1-2x a week and then work up to 3-4x a week, as your body adjusts.
- Use it before bathing / showering and make sure to moisturize after – this ensures that dead skin cells / toxins are washed away, leaving you with a healthy goal
- Do it upon waking – this helps to invigorate the body and wake you up! After you wake up or after your workout, dry brush and then hit the shower and wash away the dead skin cells.
- Brush up – Start at your feet and brush toward the heart with a light touch. Believe me it doesn’t require a hard touch. Light is key, as the bristles are stimulating. A light touch is all you need!! It only takes 3-5 minutes to brush your entire body.
- No water or soap needed!! – Remember it is dry brushing.
Find more tips for getting started here.