Midweek pick me up for Wellness Wednesday at WholesomelyFit! It’s a little bit of everything – sweet, peppery & savory with a hint of bitter. I ate it multiple times last week. I do think arugula is one of my favorite greens. And who doesn’t like a sweet, crisp grape? Perfect for rising temps here in the south. Something about refreshing foods when it’s hot! (Bryanna here sharing recipes) Also, try my Lemon Arugula Pasta Salad and Beet Arugula Salad.
Before I share the goodness of this salad, lets dive into the health benefits of arugula. Athletes you’ll love this green and here’s why:
- Great Detoxifier- Arugula is an excellent source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are great at riding the body of oxidants and free radicals, thus detoxifiers. Free radicals attack our bodies different systems, so antioxidants are important in our body’s defense of radical damage. Also, antioxidants improve our body’s defense against simple and complex illnesses.
- Enhances Mineral Absorption– Athletes know the importantce of minerals. Minerals are highly important to our training and recovery. You can more readily absorb all the benefits of arugula because of it’s lower level of oxalate. It’s high levels of calcium and potassium make it a great addition to your diet while in training as well.
- Immune System Boost -Because of the vitamins and minerals it contains, as well as antioxidant properties, it’s great at boosting your immunity. Fighting common illnesses is thus easier. It’s rich in Vitamin C helping with immunity and skin health.
- Improves Metabolism & Energy – Arugula contains the B vitamins, which are important to our metabolism and cellular health. B vitamins help to increase our cellular energy and are important to our blood health.
- Cancer prevention- Arugula contains glucosinolates and these natural substances help protect against certain cancers.
Now for the easy, refreshing recipe!! I love the simple ingredients to this salad. Add in other veggies if you’d like as well, from tomatoes to cucumbers. Try pecans instead of walnuts if you desire, or go without any nuts (I do this at times).
It’s a simple salad – most of my salads are – and can be made in a jar for easy lunches on the go. Arugula has a peppery and bitter taste. I love to eat it just plain. It’s also great for getting rid of bad breath.
Servings: 4 (2 if you like big salads like myself)
- 4 1/2 cups packed Arugula
- 1/3 c dates, pitted & chopped
- 1 1/4 c grapes, halved
- 1/4 c goat cheese crumbles
- 1/4 c walnut pieces or pecans
- 3-4 TBS olive oil
- 1 1/2 -2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions: Combine all ingredients (arugula, dates, grapes, goat cheese & nuts) but the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a large salad bowl or mixing bowl. Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper in a small bowl to make dressing. Pour dressing over salad & toss to coat salad. Enjoy immediately.
*If doing individual salads, wait to add the dressing until ready to eat.
Enjoy!! And let me know in the comments how you like the salad.